What is Cosmetology ?
Cosmetology is the study of beauty treatments that include skincare, hair styling, hair removal, pedicures and manicures, and cosmetics.
The field of Cosmetology covers a wide range and there are plenty of careers for qualified cosmetologists to choose from. These careers include hair colour specialist and hairstylist, while there are more technical professions like Esthetics. To become an Esthetician, students must complete between 260-1500 hours of training and pass a practical and written exam.
A notable and significant number of cosmetologists are self-employed. They either set up their beauty spas or salons and there is competition in the cosmetology industry. Cosmetology is a growing industry with so many long-term career options.
If you are interested in fashion and skincare and interested in helping people look their best, cosmetology might be the right profession for you.
Popular Courses in Cosmetology to Study in the UK
- Business of Beauty Course
The Business of Beauty course is designed to give a detailed introduction to the inner workings of the beauty industry. This course is suitable for people who are interested in beauty and would like to know how the beauty industry works. Students will be able to learn about beauty blogging, beauty editorial, beauty retail, beauty brands, beauty advertising, beauty PR and marketing, beauty trends, and beauty business.
- Beauty Therapy and Make-Up
Beauty therapy and make-up courses give extraordinary coaching in aspects relevant to making people look their best. Beauty therapy and make-up course entail the use of electrical nail equipment, provide manicure and pedicure services, provide body treatments, provide and plan spa program, provide aesthetic aromatic massage, beauty treatment, conduct financial transactions, provide service to clients, advice on beauty service, develop a treatment plan, design and apply make-up, provide lash and brow treatment, provide facial treatments, etc.
- Make-Up Artist Course
There are no requirements to start the make-up artist course, the student only needs to have passion for the industry. The course entails flawless foundation routines, concealer application, and how to contour and highlight, understanding of eye creams, eyebrow filling, and false lashes, understanding the role of a make-up artist, how to use corrective make-up techniques, and tools required for the job.
- Spa Beauty and Body Therapy
Spa beauty and body therapy involve cosmetic science, advanced facial treatments, facial electrotherapy, eye treatments, ear piercing, pedicure/manicure, hair removal, cosmetic make-up, diet, exercise, and nutrition, heat treatments, body massage, professional ethics, business studies, first aid, health, safety, and hygiene in the salon.
- Hair Dressing
Hairdressing is a profession recognized all over the world. The hairdressing profession gives many opportunities to work. In hairdressing, one will learn the following: hair making, on scalp full head and retouch blending services, client consultation, lighting products, workplace safety, hair making equipment usage, processing time, heat acceleration, toning, and toning products.
Skills Required To Become a Cosmetologist in the UK
- Cosmetology Degree: This is one of the major skills and requirements needed to become a cosmetologist. The degree does not necessarily have to be obtained from the four walls of a university. It could be obtained from a training centre. The certificate issued after the training is a license needed to become a cosmetologist.
- Creativity: Cosmetology is an art that requires creativity, therefore, cosmetologist should be able to bring ideas into life and always be ready to improve on their skills.
- Time Management: To be effective and efficient, a cosmetologist is required to manage time effectively. Time management also helps to serve more customers daily.
- Good Customer Service: Cosmetologists must be able to provide good customer service. A cosmetologist has to be polite and attend to customers’ needs within the scheduled time.
- Physically Fit: Being physically fit is equally an important skill required for a cosmetologist. The job of a cosmetologist mostly requires long hours of standing and attending to customers.
- Trend Awareness: Nowadays, cosmetology is one of the fastest-growing industries which requires trends to change almost every season. A cosmetologist should be aware of the changes in trends to keep up with the industry.
- Interpersonal Skill: Relating with customers is a way of building and maintaining a relationship with the customer. This skill is required because it builds trust between the cosmetologist and the client.
Other required skills are:
- Good grooming habit
- Familiarity with products
- Empathy and listening skill
- Excellent communication skill
Career Prospects For Cosmetologist in the UK
Cosmetology in the UK is a very lucrative job. The maximum amount of time it takes to get a job after graduation is 6 months. Careers in cosmetology include:
- Skincare specialist
This field focuses on skin treatment, skin beauty, skin toning, and every other aspect that relates to skin. A skincare specialist earns an average of £100,000 per year.
- Beauty copywriter
A beauty copywriter writes blogs and articles about beauty, trends, and fashion. An example of the product of beauty copywriting is a fashion magazine. A beauty copywriter earns an average of £40,000 per year.
- Beauty trainer
A beauty trainer can also be called a corporate trainer and they have specialized fields. They train people on how to become a cosmetologist in their field. A beauty trainer earns an average of £25,000 per year.
- Fashion show stylist
They specialize in the making of clothes for fashion and beauty events. The clothes are mostly made for models that will showcase the products being advertised. A fashion show stylist earns an average of £25,000 per year.
- Makeup artist
Makeup artists are not only limited to beautifying the face. They can also work in the movie industry to make an actor up to fit into a character. A makeup artist earns an average of £35,000 per year.
Other careers in cosmetology include:
- Nail technician (£40,000/year)
- Hairdresser (£25,000/year)
- Beauty business consultant (£30,000/year)
- Salon manager (£30,000/year)
- Spa manager (£30,000/year)
- Wedding and event stylist (£22,000/year)
- Beautician (£30,000/year)
Universitis to Study Cosmetology in the UK
Bradford university offers a course on skin sciences. The goal of the course is to help students and researchers better understand skin and hair biology. It also helps students understand the different types of skin diseases and how they can be treated.
Birmingham city university offers a full-time course on cosmetic branding and promotion. The course aims to help students learn about how to brand new products and how to promote the products.
Cardiff metropolitan university offers a master’s degree for a one-year course on dermatology specifically for students who have one-year of general medical experience.
De-Montfort university offers a course on pharmaceutical and cosmetic Science. Students can benefit from advanced and specialized knowledge of the principles of the pharmaceutical and cosmetic theory.
Other universities in the UK that offer cosmetology include:
- Loughborough University
- Nottingham Trent University
- Plymouth University
- Bolton College
- University of Dundee
- Lincoln College
Get career and educational articles and insights from our weekly newsletter.