Application is now open for the FAO/Hungarian Government Scholarship Programme for study in Hungary for the 2021/2022 academic year.
MSc degree courses are being offered in English for the following 2021-22 Academic Year:
1. MSc in Agricultural water management engineering (Szent István University)
2. MSc in Plant protection (Szent István University)
3. MSc in Crop production (Szent István University)
The following Hungarian universities and faculties are participating in the scholarship:
- Szent István University, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Gödöllő
- Szent István University, Georgikon Campus, Keszthely
The FAO Hungarian Government Scholarship Programme will cover:
- application and tuition fees throughout the study period with basic books and notes;
- dormitory accommodation;
- subsistence costs;
- health insurance.
All of the above-mentioned costs are financed by the Hungarian Government, according
to the Agreement between FAO and Hungary in 2007.
The scholarship covers student costs only; family members are not supported within the frame of this programme.
List of Eligible Countries for FAO Hungarian Government Scholarship Programme
Residents (who must be nationals) of the following countries are eligible to apply for the
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, North Macedonia, Madagascar, Mali, Myanmar, Republic of Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Namibia, Nigeria, North Korea, North Macedonia, State of Palestine, the Philippines, Republic of Cape Verde, Serbia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen.
Application and selection process for the FAO Hungarian Government Scholarship Programme
Student selection will take place in two phases:
Phase 1: FAO will pre-screen candidates and submit applications to the Ministry of
Agriculture of Hungary that will send them to the corresponding University as chosen by the
applicants. Students must submit only COMPLETE dossiers. Incomplete dossiers will not
be considered. Files without names will not be processed.
Phase 2: Selected candidates may be asked to take a written or oral English examination as
part of the admission procedure. The participating Universities will run a further selection
process and inform each of the successful candidates. Student selection will be made by the
Universities only, without any involvement on the part of FAO. Selected students will also be
notified by the Ministry.
Candidates will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Citizenship and residency of one of the eligible countries
- Excellent school achievements
- English language proficiency (for courses taught in English)
- Good health
- Age (candidates under 30 are preferred)
Application procedure the FAO Hungarian Government Scholarship Programme
- Interested applicants should prepare a dossier to be sent by E-MAIL consisting of:
Application form duly completed
- A recent curriculum vitae
- A copy of high school/college diploma and transcript/report of study or copy of the
- A copy of the certificate of proficiency in English
- Copies of relevant pages of passport showing expiration date and passport number
- A letter of recommendation
- Statement of motivation
- Health Certificate issued by Medical Doctor
- Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the local police authority.
All submitted documents must be in ENGLISH. Documents submitted in any other language will not be accepted. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that documents are duly translated and certified by a competent office; and that each document is saved with a name that identifies what it is.
Applications by interested candidates should be E-MAILED to FAO between 15 January 2021 and 28 February 2021.
Applicants who were not selected in previous years may re-apply to 2022-2023
Programme. These applicants will have to submit the complete dossier once again by EMAIL ONLY.
All queries concerning the programme or the application process should be E-MAILED to FAO at REU-Scholarship@fao.org